Friday, April 13, 2012

The Event I Wasn't At...

I know sometimes it's hard to get involved in events that you're at. But... how do you get involved if you're simply not there? Well, here are some things I came up with that I did for the recent class event that I couldn't go to:

1. Invite people.

As mentioned before, I tried my hand at handing out flyers. I also invited my family, told a few other people about the event, and put an invite on Twitter.

2. Participate in the planning process.

I attended class every class period and went to every practice run-through to plan the event with my group, even after I knew I wouldn't be able to make it to the actual event. I brainstormed, helped edit the poem chosen as narration, timed practices, gave feedback, shared ideas on social media, played piano live in run-through sessions of the event for timing purposes, and made a recorded version of my piano part to be used in the actual event.

3. Participate through media.

I am still working on this one. I was in a performance at the time of the event so I couldn't watch the live stream of the event, but I am actively searching for a recorded version of the event to watch.

4. Respond to feedback.

The evening of the event, after I was finally back from my performance, I went on Twitter and responded to various questions that had been asked during the event.

There you have it! Even though I was sad to miss an event that I had poured many hours of preparation into, I still felt connected because I did these four things to keep involved.

1 comment:

  1. I do appreciate your many efforts to be part of things even though you couldn't attend in person. It was good to have that recording for your arts group presentation, which I thought went very well. Thanks for your contributions to the arts content group.

    ReplyDelete